Hazlov
village · Chebsko
A village of the Ašsko borderland whose part-ruined castle-turned-chateau guarded the old trade road from Cheb into Germany — first recorded in 1224.
Hazlov grew under a castle first mentioned in 1224, built to watch the trade route from the Cheb basin through the Aš promontory into central Germany. The castle was remade over the centuries into a fortress and then, under the Moser family from 1682, into a Baroque chateau with the church of the Elevation of the Holy Cross built directly onto it — an unusual joined complex that still dominates the village, partly ruined and slowly being restored. The village has a railway stop on the Cheb–Aš line, which makes it a convenient trailhead for walks through the wooded hills of the promontory.
Hikes passing here
-
Into the Aš Promontory
A 12.8 km point-to-point hike through the Ašsko borderland woods from Hazlov to Aš.