Břístevská hůra
chapel · Polabí
One of the three low "Polabské hůry" hills, carrying the ruin of a baroque cross-shaped chapel from 1714 that lightning burned three times.
In country this flat, even a low rise gets a name and a story: the Břístevská hůra between Bříství and Starý Vestec is one of the three Polabské hůry, and on its top stands the ruin of the chapel of the Elevation of the Holy Cross, built in 1714 on a cross-shaped plan. Lightning set it on fire three times — 1764, 1818 and 1878 — and after the third the parish gave up; the shell has stood open to the sky ever since, a landmark for the fields around.
It is a two-minute detour from the field paths between Přerov nad Labem and the Kersko woods, and the low summit gives the widest look around this part of the Polabí that you will get.
Hikes passing here
-
The Skanzen and the Kersko Pines
A 26.2 km flat spring walk through the Polabí — the Přerov nad Labem skanzen, a burnt chapel on its hill, and Hrabal's Kersko pines.