Žebrák

castle ruin · Křivoklátsko

A 13th-century royal castle ruin on a rock spur below its younger sibling Točník — rebuilt by Václav IV after the 1395 fire, abandoned when the king moved uphill.

Žebrák is the older of the twin castles on the ridge: nobles and Bohemian kings used it from the mid-13th century, and Václav IV had it rebuilt after a fire in 1395 — while simultaneously building himself the far grander Točník on the crest a hundred metres above. The old castle never recovered its importance and is a ruin today, a romantic counterpart to its sibling; the pair make one visit.

Hikes passing here

  • Twin Castles Weekend

    A weekend 44.8 km arc through the Křivoklátsko woods and Podbrdsko from Kařez to Hořovice, past Čertova skála and Zbiroh to the twin castles Točník and Žebrák.

    44.8 km 2 days ↑ 708 m hard